To prevent complications related to diabetes, here are some self-care tips:
- Monitor your blood sugar levels: Regularly check your blood sugar levels to ensure they are within the target range. This can help you make necessary adjustments to your diet and medication.
- Follow a healthy diet: Eat a balanced diet that includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Limit your intake of sugary and processed foods.
- Stay physically active: Engage in regular physical activity, such as walking, swimming, or cycling. Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise per week.
- Manage your weight: Maintain a healthy weight or work towards achieving a healthy weight if you are overweight. This can help improve insulin sensitivity and overall health.
- Take medications as prescribed: If you are prescribed medications for diabetes management, take them as directed by your healthcare provider. Do not skip doses or make changes without consulting them.
- Manage your blood pressure and cholesterol: High blood pressure and cholesterol levels can increase the risk of complications. Monitor and manage these levels with medication, lifestyle changes, and regular check-ups.
- See your specialists and do your lab tests: Be sure to maintain regular check ups with your healthcare team and complete the lab work to spot the early signs of complications such as eye disease, kidneys disease, and heart disease. Keeping your A1c below 7% can help reduce the risk of complications.
- Quit smoking: If you smoke, quitting is essential for your overall health. Smoking can worsen diabetes complications and increase the risk of heart disease.
- Manage stress: Find healthy ways to cope with stress, such as practicing relaxation techniques, engaging in hobbies, or seeking support from friends and family.
Keeping your hemoglobin A1c below 7% is the most effective way in reducing your risk of complications. These 9 tips can help you achieve an A1c >7%. Remember, it’s important to work closely with your healthcare team to develop a personalized self-care plan that suits your specific needs.